To: Director, Division for Research on Intelligent Life, Galactic Central
From: Earth Saucer #1 Observer
Re: Request permission for Mind Meld
You requested a preliminary report regarding my investigation of the planet Earth, pursuant directive to catalog intelligent life. I report unexpected behavior of a dominant life form, known locally as Humans.
Assessment: Human Adherance
1) Tendency to adhere to perception of "failure"
2) This occurs even though input data indicates success. Illogical!
At a "workshop" I am secretly observing, the speaker delivers an important presentation on the power of "positive thinking" (Ha!) At the conclusion, the speaker receives 153 positive evaluations from the audience rating her performance as "good" to "excellent". A single evaluation rates her as "poor" - boring and off-target.
Chief, look at the numbers... 153 "wins" as opposed to a single negative evaluation. Logic predicts that this human will use the 153 positive outcomes as irrefutable proof of success, right?
Wrong! Her brain locked into a single criticism. I find it utterly amazing that bipeds with such highly developed problem-solving skills obsess about perceived failure.
It is time to defeat mind chatter that perpetuates damaging self-talk.
Chief, drastic action is needed. Yes, I propose a Mind Meld with this individual so she can help women defeat stress-inducing rumination.
Proposed Class 2 Mind Meld to contain coaching steps:
1. Acknowledge clients' disappointments. Not everything works.
2. Help celebrate clients' successes, no matter how "small" they seem. Critical to nurture self-confidence and self-esteem.
3. Encourage clients to identify long-range outcomes. Maintain this focus.
Follow Up: Coaching Mind Meld... a success!